Saturday, June 5, 2010

it's still raining.

Even though a tornado was spotted a few miles north of my house today, I managed to get a little work done in this on-going daily down pour.

Yesterday I received, in the rain, a shipment from companionplants.com. This website has a mind blowing assortment of herbs. It took me a month to get my order under $100 (I gave up on the 40 dollar budget). So as the mail lady ran back to the shelter of her van, I unpacked the little guys and set them outside....in the rain.



I was able to set up shop for the cardamom.



well, sort of. I still have to harvest some composted horse poo, but I got the hard part done before it started raining...again.



i planted the pennyroyal in a pot (they have pennyroyal at my local nursery, but the price was the same as ordering it with these other guys) and used it as a weight, along with this poor pineapple. It was on my porch and three little kittens reeked havoc upon it, so it's now in the garden.

Other than the cardamom and pennyroyal, I also received:
Tagetes minuta/mexican marigold plant
Elsholtzia stauntonni/mint shrub plant
Melaleuca alternifolia/Australian tea tree
Armoracia rustica/Horseradish plant
Calea zacatechichi/Aztec dream herb

a packet of Allium schoenoprasum seed, and a partriage in a pear tree.


i also took menacing sky photos...







the watermelon and pumpkin are doing well...



sugarcane



bean tee pee is doing great except in the back, where the excessive moisture is giving those guys a rough ride.





goal for next week:
get the rest of those herbs in the ground! and MAYBE a fruit tree or two if they will be within close proximity of the sprinkler. I had planned on waiting this fall to put in the trees i have potted because of the intense Louisiana heat, but my shovel finger has been itching.






No comments: